12/16/13

Clean and Simple Holiday Wreath

Hey... long time no see! I've been so swamped with Mama Elephant stuff for the last few months. While I love ME and all, it's nice to take a break every now and then and do something different. I enjoy the challenge of working with other products as it motivates me to get other things done. 

We recently did a clean sweep of our house and updated with new furniture and decor. All our stuff were looking terribly outdated and now with the girls getting a little older it was definitely time for a makeover! Goodbye kiddie, mismatched everything, hello sophistication! 

We brought in a lot of modern furniture in whites to accommodate our small space. One of my latest project was a simple table top decor for our long tv unit. I was able to complete it with this quick DIY wreath decor. All you need is 15 minutes to make this fabulously chic wreath!


You will need the following supplies:

1. White yarn. I used a thick yarn that's used for baby blankets.
2. Green foam circle wreath. Mine was about 6".
3. Knotty Gift Set dies from www.shopwer.com.
4. Die cutting machine. I used Lifestyle Evolution.
5. Glitter cardstock. Mine is from American Crafts.
6. Decorative Brad. Mine is from making Memories.

It's been awhile since I did a step by step tutorial so please bear with me!


First create a loop so you have something to hang with. Then proceed to wrap the yarn around the foam circle Go slowly and neatly. Choose a thick yawn to save time. :)



Using the bow dies from the Knotty Gift Set, run it through the Evolution with glitter cardstock.



Assemble the bow. Since there are little holes in the bow, it's easy to attach the brad. 


Snip off the protruding cardstock. You would normally wrap it around, but since we're using a brad to hold the bow together, we don't need it.

Now we attach the bow to the yarn wreath. Because I want to be able to swap the bow out, I didn't glue it down. You certainly can, but I wanted to be able to change my mind later. 


I used a white string to tie around the brad and then around the wreath. You can't see it once it's in there since you can tuck it in between the yawn.


I debated whether I should hang on the wall or not, and ultimately decided to loop it atop an easel. I think it looks great, white on white walls would've gotten lost but the easel brings it out nicely.


Here's a full shot of everything together. 


You can get the Knotty Gift Set die I used today as well as the Evolution from www.shopwer.com. Use code SUGAR for 20% off your entire purchase!

Side note: Lifestyle Crafts/We R Memory Keepers generously sent me a new Evolution. It was a much needed upgrade for me after struggling with my Cuttlebug and Calibur for years. The Cuttlebug has served me well, but I needed something sturdier. The Calibur was just too big, so I never bothered to use it at all. The Evolution has changed my die-cutting life! I really love the stability and I really love that the cutting plates do not bend or warp out of shape. It's a great die cutting machine if you are in the market or if you need to upgrade!

4 comments: